“Change is not made without inconvenience, even from worse to better.”Richard Hooker
Do you know the hardest exercise known to humankind? Taking the first step!
And because of this, it is very common for us to hesitate and put off doing things. Don’t worry, you are not a failure, you are just human. In fact, it is such a common phenomenon, we guarantee you will recognise any number of the following “barriers” to starting something…take a look and see which you can recognise in yourself…
- Lack of self-motivation or support – “It seems like so much work, I can’t do this alone…”
- Busy schedule, lack of time or not convenient – “I can’t change how I eat right now. I travel a lot, am rushed off my feet and it’s just not convenient at the moment”
- Difficult emotions/mental health – “I’m going through a difficult time in my life right now, I enjoy comfort food and I can’t deal with even more by going on a diet”
- Inertia – “I’ve always been like this, I’m not going to change now…”
- Not wanting to give up current life – “I like socialising with my friends too much!”
- Lack of knowledge/skills – “I hear so much contradictory advice, I don’t know where to even start!”
- Home environment/family/friends – “I’m surrounded by food, treats and people who are not interested in changing how they eat.”
- Too much temptation – “I can hear the chocolates calling to me!”
- Food tastes – “I don’t like the taste of ‘healthy’ food”
- Putting it off/lazy – “It sounds like hard work, I will start tomorrow”
- Environmental barriers – “There is nowhere to get healthy food where I live/work”
- It’s not high enough on my to-do list – “I already eat well. I’m not unhealthy. I’m happy as I am.”
- Making excuses – Any or all of the above plus countless more…
To prevent these barriers stopping you from making some changes, you need to identify and overcome them, one by one. A few smaller problems are easier to deal with than one big one.
So this is how are you going to do this.
Reflecting on your eating habits, identify any less helpful patterns and in turn, build new, more positive ones.
Use the document below to help you identify and overcome any barriers from healthy eating.
You can either:
- Download and print it.
- Use a diary or journal to record everything in.